Lunes, Agosto 25, 2014

Movie Review: What can I say about Lucy?



I just watched the movie Lucy and I was quite curious about few things. This movie is not just action but instead informative and entertaining.

What can we become if in case we reach 100% of our brain capacity? At the end of the story, as she uses 100 % of her brain power, Lucy vanishes. When someone asked where she is, Lucy answered: “I am everywhere.” It does ring a bell to me. She became a demi-god. An omnipresent being.

Someone asked Luc Besson the director of the movie, on why Lucy vanishes. He told during the interiew, “I think it’s how characters become legends. What about God? Everyone’s been talking about him for thousands of years and no one has seen him.”

Morgan Freeman as Prof. Norman, a well-known scientist and doctor, stated in the movie that most of us only use 10% of our brain capacity. So if in case we surpass this capacity and add another percent we can do something beyond ordinary. We can become a superhuman. However, 10% brain capacity is just a myth. In Wikipedia, it says:

The 10% of brain myth is the widely perpetuated urban legend that most or all humans only make use of 10% (or some other small percentage) of their brains. It has been misattributed to many people, including Albert Einstein. By association, it is suggested that a person may harness this unused potential and increase intelligence. Although, it is just a myth. We possess the power within  us – the power to transform.

What is this  blue-colored drug called CPH4 which makes Lucy superhuman with god-like abilities? Does it exist?

I am no omniscient being. I don’t know this honestly. However, based on the information I got, the name CPH4 is  not its real name but it is real. This molecule exists and is carried by every woman at six weeks of pregnancy. It  only means that this one is not a drug.  it’s a natural molecule that pregnant women produce.

I really really have one thing in mind when I decided to watch this movie. That is for entertainment. Uhmm, the protagonist is Scarlett Johansson. It could be fun and entertaining.  It just so happened that as I was watching it some lines strike me. Lucy triggers me to reflect on the philosophical questions being laid throughout the story.

What does it mean by “Humans are more concerned on having rather than being”? What does it mean by “Without time, we cannot exist”? What is the purpose of knowledge with all these explorations and discovery, gathering of information and everything? What is the meaning and purpose of life?

I am not in the position to answer these questions. But as I watched “Lucy,” I am now beginning to understand. Somehow. Morgan Freeman said to Lucy, “If you're asking me what to do with all this knowledge you're accumulating, I say, pass it on … just like any simple cell, going through time.” The purpose of knowledge is to pass it on. Share it. Learn and re-learn.  Knowledge does not bring chaos. It is ignorance that is dangerous. As the final words of Lucy, she said “Life was given to us a billion years ago. Now you know what to do with it.”
  
We are all wanderer here on earth. Our life is nothing but a journey. Like Lucy, we will all vanish in time.  We can be everywhere as spirit but we can never be like God as omnipresent and omniscient being. We can know  something but we cannot know everything. There is only one God and these attributes only belong to God  alone. A creature can never be the Creator.


1 komento: